Sunday, February 21, 2010

Christopher Johnson, Providence Poet

Jess Manning, my poetry pal, picked me up today so we could catch up, (she's been in Egypt for a while this winter) have a warm beverage and catch the latest Spoken Word Nantucket at the African Meeting House. It was the first time I've ever been in the meeting house... crazy since I walk by it almost everyday. It's a beautiful building. I especially love the ceiling.
The guest poet, Christopher Johnson, is intensely brilliant! He jumped right into a poem... no paper, not reading, but recited by memory and spoke in something that resembled rap music. I deduced that it's called hip hop poetry. I've never heard anything like it before... a new love. Johnson took my enjoyment of poetry to a whole new level.

Check out these videos...



No comments:

Post a Comment